Archive

Posts Tagged ‘away3D TextField3D’

Augmented Reality and my tough times

February 13, 2010 Leave a comment

Hi everybody! I have been trying my hands on flar-toolkit (flex based augmented reality libarary) for quite some time. Initially i went through some of the examples in web to get started but once i got in to it, i felt it was not much easier as i thought. The app which i have been working demanded me to work with multiple markers and i have tried to accomplish with flar manager which is a framework of augmented reality for flash based on saqoosha flar-toolkit library and it had bunch of examples which helped me to pass through the first puzzle thrown at me.

The next one was detecting the markers in the order in which it has been placed. I had examples and references in web to got through my first puzzle but this time i realized that i was on my own. But the year of experience in flex helped me to got through this one. Yes I managed to achieve it by ordering the markers based on its x and y coordinate which would be the first thing strike in your mind if you have been part of flash platform.

The last one was the worst nightmare i went through in my recent times. Actually what i wanted to do was, had to do computation with detected markers and show my result as 3D object which doesnt have any corresponding marker. I just wanted to add it to the scene but it was not so easy as i have been telling. The reason was whenever markers were detected, computation would be done followed by 3D model would be added to scene. Just imagine how many times it would get executed and how many children would get added in a second. Further more what if it would be, if you could not clear up the old 3D models ? . Yes thats what i went through actually and my app started to respond as my old girl friend (sorry i dint have one)  i.e. i would have to wait indefinitely to get her reply.

But in my case it was not necessary to show up 3D model as i needed to show an integer value as result but we were decided to use 3D model earlier as it would bring 3D feel. When we had been looking for alternate solution i stumbled upon Text3D class in papervision 3D but it dint help me to bring what was expected. Then i tried to fix the issue in 3D model until i found TextField3D class in away 3D which was more look alike what i have been looking for.

Finally I have created only one instance of TextField3D class and used to update the result by setting its text property. Yup i told myself i got escaped and completed the task successfully. However i would have been more happy if i have found the fix for 3D model memory leaking  but i dint have patience and perseverance to get it done thats where I realized i am easily giving up instead of fighting for it and felt myself that i must develop so called ” never say die attitude” to stay alive in the race.  Thank you reading my horrible experience. lolz!!!

Disclaimer : Hereby i am not criticizing  anyone library, in fact i admire them and seeing them as my ideal. So whatever i have been posted here it was personal experience and even you may call it as my inability to get it done.

Advertisements